NetDocuments Vs. eDocs – A Document Management System Comparison
The right document management software (DMS) makes a big difference for law firms. Of course, there are a lot of different DMS options to choose from. That in itself can make it really hard to find the right one. In this post, we’re going to compare two popular document management software options:
NetDocuments vs. eDocs.
We will share an overview of each, what we really think each option brings to the table for law firms, and the one that we think stands out. Before we get started, we want to provide you with some questions you should answer when you’re making this crucial decision.
- Does it really manage your documents or is it just digital storage? There is a big difference between the two. Document management software should actually help your law firm do more than just act as a repository. Consider the features as opposed to however the software classifies itself.
- Does it organize documents in a way that makes sense for how your law firm will use it? Consider whether the software organizes documents and data in a way that will really work for your law firm. Some DMS options are considered “generalists” because they appeal to a wide variety of industries. NetDocuments and eDocs are both generalist DMS programs because they’re used in several industries. As such, the way that things are organized may not make much sense or may present a learning curve. A DMS designed specifically for the legal industry is more matter-centric. It makes it easier to organize, find, and use documents and data.
- Does the DMS integrate with the services you use? This includes Microsoft Office, Outlook, and whatever software that your law firm uses. Some generalist options may not integrate with legal industry software.
- What sort of search function does the DMS have? Optical character recognition (OCR) is the best possible search option. Not all DMS options have it. With OCR, you can search on anything. The search engine will search more than the name of clients or documents. It will also search the inside of documents. You should also look for software that uses OCR automatically every time you need to run a search.
- How easy is it to use the software? It’s crucial that the software is easy for everyone to use. Otherwise, no one will want to use it. Look at the various screens and consider how easy it would be for you to use it.
- Can you customize it to better meet your needs? Consider which features of the DMS you can customize to make your law firm life just a little bit easier. You should also determine if the features will actually help improve productivity.
- Will the company help move your documents and data? Data migration can be a stressful process. Find out whether the DMS provider will move your documents and data for you or if it is something you must do on your own. If they do provide data migration, you should also ask about the cost. Some companies may provide this option, but they’ll attach a hefty price tag to the process.
An Overview of NetDocuments
NetDocuments is a DMS that is considered cloud-based. With it, law firms can store, organize, and manage documents. It is considered a generalist software because it is used by multiple industries, including the legal industry. NetDocuments handles both emails and documents in a secured environment.
NetDocuments uses a concept known as workspaces to organize content. Law firms may need to decide whether a workspace will be defined by client name or if it will be an area that holds documents and data that each lawyer uses for their specific cases. Access permissions can be set for each user to ensure that they can get to what they need without having access to everything. Users can collaborate together on documents. Document check-in and check-out is another helpful feature for law firms.
This DMS option has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.